Construction Agreement

What You Should Know About General Construction Laws In The United Kingdom

If you’re thinking of building property or having certain types of work done on your home or business, then you should know about general construction laws in the United Kingdom. This article will discuss when you need to get approval and when you don’t. It’ll also discuss the competent person scheme and about telling local authorities about your planned work.

When Do You Need Approval

Before you undertake any work on your building or start the building process, you might need approval. You either have to get approval or someone who is registered has to do it. Planning permission and building regulations are two different things, but the law may require you to get both.

That being said, you might need approval for projects that entail replacing fuse boxes or if you want to install a new bathroom that will involve installing or working with the plumbing. Approval might be needed if you plan on replacing doors, windows or roof coverings.

Furthermore, you might require approval if you decide to replace a heating system. The sames goes for installing one. If you have a heating system that you’d like to add a radiator to, then you will likely need approval.

As a general rule of thumb, you should check if approval is needed for any home remodeling or building project. If you just go ahead with the project, the work might not be compliant with laws. This means you won’t have certificates or anything like that, which could cause you issues if you ever want to sell the property.

When You Don’t Need Approval

Generally speaking, some projects don’t require building regulations approval, such as perform maintenance work or performing most repairs, as long as they don’t involve fuse boxes, heating systems, oil tanks as well as glazing units. If you’re going to make a change to existing circuits, then you don’t need approval. The same goes for replacing a bath with a bath or a toilet with a toilet and so on. If you’re not sure whether or not you need building regulations approval, then you can contact a building control body and ask them.

Use Competent Persons Schemes

These schemes allow tradesmen to register with the intent to prove that they are able to perform work to specific standards. This means you won’t have to apply for planning permission or building regulations approval because they’ll be able to do it for you. Not only that, but if it’s required by law, they will contact your local council to tell them about the work that will be carried out, otherwise they’ll just do the work because their work has already been proven to meet standards. This means they might not even need to apply for planning permission.

Now you have a general idea of when you need approval to build and when you don’t. Never hire a tradesperson who isn’t licensed, insured or competent, and don’t forget to let the local council know about your planned work. If you’re in doubt, then hire a solicitor that specialises in construction laws.